Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Doctor Debate

I am going to whine. Yesterday and today were rough days. Tuesday I had my big 20 week ultrasound- which was awesome. Seeing this little man move around, have the hiccups at one point, and show off his man-hood to the camera as much as possible, was awesome. But can I tell you how dissapointed I was when I learned my Dr. had to change his shift for some reason and couldn't see me. My Dr. is amazing. I love him, and he knows ME. He takes me seriously. He knows I don't complain about something unless I am worried. He knows what needs to be done when I worry. Soooo...I was sad he wasn't there because I had a worry to talk about. The Dr. I saw was good. She didn't necessarily brush off my concerns, but she thought they were nothing to worry about.

I told her I wasn't sure, but I thought I may have had a contraction or two in the past few weeks. I told her I never have contracted before I have actually started my downwhirl spiral into labor. It's always two weeks before I have the baby, I slowly start contracting. First one here, one there, then several a day, then every hour, then close together, etc. AND nothing happens for me until it happens. So I will contract for 2 weeks without any dialation, without my cervix shortening/thinning-nothing, until the day before I deliver. Same pattern for my last two boys. Now, I know my body. I just do. If there is something I don't know, I figure it out. I don't call the Dr. for the little aches and pains that I have had every stinking day of this pregnancy...because they are nothing. Even things I haven't had before, I have been calm. So I left the doctor Tuesday happy and yet...feeling like I really wish I could have seen my Dr.

So yesterday morning, I am visiting teaching. Sitting on the living room floor chatting away with two other moms when I have a real.true.contraction. I knew it was real. There was no question. Same as always- I feel it in the front and back. Hmmmmmm...I am thinking. This is not good. I have two more within the hour. So after I get Brayden from kindergarden (which was straight from VT), I call my Dr. I talk to the nurse in detail about everything. I tell her that I am not one of those that freaks out over little things- I am not one to call in about a contraction unless I am truly worried it will lead somewhere. Well guess what? She will talk to the Dr. on call b/c my doctor wasn't in. I knew automatically what that doctors response was going to be...and I was right.

Now, the only complaint I have about my Dr. is not a fair one. He goes out of the country and helps deliver babies for FREE. He does this as a service. He is one of the number 1 doctors in UT and he has done studies over the last 20 years on premature births and why women go into labor early. He is great...but sometimes that means he is not there for me. And normally I don't care and love all the dr.s he works with. But not yesterday! I knew when the nurse told me that that she would call me back with a "lay down, take it easy and this is fine"...which is what she did. Now I understand. Lots of women contract all through pregnancy. lots of women have these things happen and it's no big deal. I just never have had it happen this early, and I have never had it happen unless I am on the process of going into labor!!
So I laid down the rest of the day, still randomly contracting...did I tell you my contractions hurt? Yep, from the very beginning, they hurt. Not too bad until closer to when I deliver...but I am not making this up people! They hurt! So I had a few more yesterday and then Cort gave me a blessing last night. I went to bed and was up most of the night as usual-stinking insomnia! Even with unisom, I wake up at least 5-6 times. I contracted once during the night (I have written down every contraction and what I was doing at the time to keep track) and then first thing this morning, a big one. I called my doctors office before I even think they were open. I realized that my stomach and back are killing me like ALL THE TIME. I really suspected that I either have a virus or infection of some kind and that is what is cauing all this. I left them and detailed message and asked them to call me. They did and asked me to come in to have some tests done. They agree with me, HOWEVER, I know they are not super concerned. Which totally bugs me. I KNOW they get women who contract all the time- they are high risk doctors. But that is NOT ME! I am not one of those women- something is going on! And this little lad is way too little to come even two weeks from now~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I went in, explained my heart out (to the nurse and the doc on call since my doc is not in still) and basically repeated myself over and over "there is something going on, this is not normal"...which they agree with. They did blood work, swabbed me for all kinds of tests, took my urine and all the goods and will call me with the results. The doctor could tell I was in pain. He was nice and sincere. But I know that if I had seen MY doctor, he would not have messed around one bit. he would have done all the same tests, however he would have put me on something preventatively already AND possibly given me something to stop the contractions...

I am just not satisfied! I am, but I'm not. Does that make sense? There is no use in me worrying right at this moment because I have done all I can do. I am waiting for results and can go from there. But I do so hope and pray that my doctor is in soon because he knows me. And I am hoping and praying that there IS something going on- it would explain this! And of course, more than anything, I just want the contractions to stop. NOW!

So I am on bed rest until they do. Which, the doctor politely laughed while talking to me about it...he said "I'm sorry to be rude and laugh...I am just watching your kids and you have your hands full!" Little did he know my kids were being SOOOOO GOOD at the time!! He has no idea! ;) But they have been pretty good with me being down and getting things for me, etc.

And speaking of getting things for me- I am so grateful to my family and friends for the love and support they have shown. From taking my kids to bringing me dinner...I am so lucky to have the extra help in my time of need. Thanks everyone! Keep the prayers coming and I will keep you posted!

--Elizabeth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth Larson, Do you know that Forex Is Highest Paying Keyword in Google Adsense? Learn how to use Forex here: